8.17.2006

If ya missed it ..

.. my moms didn't ..

We B*Girlz at Lincoln Center Out of Doors


Rowdy representing London. Flowzaic ladies rocked it !!


Rokafella !! you know that shoulder shimmy shimmy y'all ..


KR3Ts !! Spanish Harlem in the House !!


you know what it feels like to walk on the Plaza at Lincoln Center and see a big ass banner that says WE B*GIRLZ (done by Lady Pink, Toofly and Muck and made possible by Deitch Projects) ..

You don't. I know. I'll tell you.

I went to high school across the street from Lincoln Center. Every day we'd be walking through the complex—underground from the train, up the stairs to smoke cigarettes and hang out til we figured out where we were going, across the Plaza if we wanted to go to Roy Rogers and order fries and smoke more cigarettes and pour salt on ice cubes and watch them dissolve while throwing pickles on the mural of the southwest on the wall and watched them stick, fossilize, and eventually disappear. We graduated with a ceremony at Avery Fisher Hall. Billy Dee Williams was the guest speaker. He stumbled through his speech. He sounded drunk. Some girls jumped up and started singing, "Colt 45. Malt liquor. Colt 45 is the dynamite taste."

Every day for four years, four weirdass high-school years in Manhattan in the late 80s, I was at Lincoln Center and never once did I think I would be at Lincoln Center in any other capacity. Over the past 15 years (ahahaha eek !!) I have had cause to venture back. An opera here. An opera there. But not enough to really make an impact. Not like the first time I bought Public Enemy's Fear of a Black Planet at Tower Records and sat by that pool outside the Vivien Beaumont, listening to it on my walkman ..

So here I am, 25, 15 years later thinking, Well goddamn. Ain't life grand ..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter free hit unique web